erewash canal preservation and development association
55th anniversary rally 27 - 29 May 2023
In May 2023 the ECP&DA will be hosting a boat rally at the Great Northern Basin at Langley Mill. The rally is to celebrate 55 years since the formation of the association and also 50 years since the restoration of the basin, lock and surrounding area.
Following our formation in 1968 the association is still going strong and we now own Sandiacre Lock Cottages and the cottage at Langley Mill, which is our headquarters. We have an ex British Waterways work boat that we have restored. The boat, named Pentland enables us to carry out work along the canal. This includes lock repairs plus vegetation and litter clearance. We are currently involved in restoration work at Langley Mill with the Friends of Cromford Canal on the Beggarlee extension. This will take the Cromford canal under the A610 via two locks.
The rally will include a mixture of trade, historic and private narrowboats plus trade stalls and display stands from other canal groups. Public entry to the rally is free. The rally will begin with historic narrowboats Bath and Meteor setting off from Anchor Bridge at 10:30 carrying the Long Eaton Silver Band to the opening ceremony by the lock at 11:00.
Other attractions are:
- Food and drink, including real ale tent.
- Musical entertainment sponsored by, PPL PRS. Buskers corner.
- Battle of Britain Memorial Flypast (subject to availability).
- View boat and butty Oak and Ash in Langley Mill Boatyard dry dock. The boatyard will also have a display of engines and those that are ticketed are for sale.
- The Victorian pump house will be open with opportunities to learn about its purpose and how it works.
- Take an informative guided walk along the restored stretch of the Cromford canal and learn about ongoing plans for the future.
If planning to come along with your boat please book in; forms are available on our website
Further information and booking forms for rally can be found in the news and events section of our website.